Saturday, June 12, 2010

By the Grace of IDW

If you do the math you may start to see that my reviews are being posted a full 24 hours at least before the actual comics are coming out in the comic shops on the Moonbase2 Forum. There is a reason for this.

The Moonbase2 Forum creator Dave (aka KalelPrime) has been graciously given the opportunity by IDW (holder and publisher of the Transformer comic license) to download the comics five days in advance so he can have his forum reviewers read the comic and review it. This is a special permission given to only a handful of Transformer websites. It's a great honor and Dave is only giving the comics to his two reviewers, Me and another guy named Matt (aka KingGrimlock).

So I get the comic on my computer to review sometimes up to five days in advance but not always. I get a chance to read it, think about it, pick it apart, review it, talk about it with Dave and Matt (and sometimes some of the other reviewers I'm getting to know from the other Transformers websites, who also have this great opportunity), and then post my opinion. Sometimes this is really easy and sometimes it is dang hard. The hard part comes in when I actually have to do some research on characters, past comics, or just trying to figure out what isn't working for me and why.

I'm really thankful IDW has given Moonbase2 this chance to do this. The forum is growing and I am happy to see that. This is just another one of those honors. So thank you IDW, I really appreciate the opportunity I have to review these comic ahead of time. It really does mean a lot to myself and I know to the rest of the crew of Moonbase2...

That being said, my opinion isn't purchased or influenced by anyone. I'm an honest person and IDW has never expected me to lie about what I think of the comics. So yes, that can also mean if my opinion is low, I'm going to say it. If it means you don't buy it. It is what it is. Hopefully though, this means IDW will continue to send out the reviewing material. I still think it is worth their time to do it, even if the review is low. I still meet plenty of people despite what I say will still buy the comics. Fans are fans... we do want we do and sometimes there is no logic to it.

I am also becoming more and more active on the IDW Boards as well. You can find me there under the same nick, ladywreck. It's pretty neat. I actual get a chance sometimes to talk to the creative team behind the making of the comics. That's a real treat. And lets not forget the head editor Andy Schmidt. Pretty amazing.

No comments: